Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 19, 2014

My Friend Joe Dies

Last night between 9:00 and 10:00 one of my first friends here at McKendree died as one by one his bodily systems have been shutting down over the last few weeks with the latest being a kink in his small intestine and water in the lungs. I sat with Nancy and the body until midnight last night until the funeral home finally picked up Joe's body. Today I took Nancy to the funeral home to make the arrangements complicated by the fact that Joe's son in in Pennsylvania and has all power of attorneys. But with phone and email they got it all worked out for his cremation and a memorial service probably on August 2 here at McKendree.

Today I wrote a poem and put it in one of my photo cards which I will put under Nancy's door in the morning on my way to church:

Remembering Joe


Soon after moving, I met Joe,
A kindred spirit, ready to go!
He soon showed me that he cared,
Likenesses of my Dad he shared.

I loved to hear his real war stories,
Never focused on his glories.
We laughed and talked of life,
While always avoiding strife.

Then along came that girl Nancy,
Their relationship not too fancy.
Both brought memories and love,
Descending on them like a dove.

Truer love like I’ve never seen,
From Nancy’s caring we do glean.
System by system, Joe shuts down
While Nancy’s care deserves a crown.

Day and night, Nancy was faithful,
And for that, I’ll always be grateful.
Joe’s now flying above a plane,
And knowing him was my gain!

Charlie Doggett
July 19, 2014

The Obituary in The Tennessean newspaper:
Click to Enlarge



No comments:

Post a Comment