Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My Cemetery Cousin

That's a strange title I realize, but of all my cousins it is Gene Hugh Hardgrave who appreciates and cares the most about cemeteries and the honor and history they represent - especially Hardgrave family cemeteries! On his way back from South Carolina with his new wife Theresa they called Saturday afternoon to say they would arrive in Nashville that evening and spend the night at a hotel in the Bellevue area - would I be interested in showing them the Hardgrave Cemetery here in Middle Tennessee? Of course! Sunday morning I did my greeter duty at door 3 of the church, then changed clothes during Sunday school and headed for Bellevue.

Gene has been here before and helped with a cemetery cleanup several years ago. But it was a first visit for Theresa. Before I met them at the Hampton Inn at 10:00, Gene had already shown her the DeMoss cabin in Red Caboose Park made by a contemporary of our 5 great grandfather Francis Hardgrave who lived in the Bellevue area.and had served in the revolutionary war with Louis DeMoss. He had also already shown her the little church cemetery where we first thought Francis was buried. (One of his sons had donated the land for that church and cemetery now located in the River Plantation Condominiums.)

But I get to take them to the Hardgrave Cemetery across the Harpeth River in the edge of Williamson County. I was embarrassed that I had not cleaned it up this spring, but was surprised at how short the weeds were. Though I do need to get it cleaned up and work on removing some dead trees. Gene has offered to help financially. Here is Gene & Theresa at the cemetery:

No comments:

Post a Comment