Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

DNA Family History

I have now seen the results of my DNA research as a part of National Geographic's Geno 2.0 Genographic Project. 

I have the DNA sequence for both the maternal and paternal side of my family and maps showing how my line traveled out of Africa through the Middle East and Asia to Europe for one and through Mediterranean to Europe. Interesting and slightly different for several branches of both sequences.

I am 2.7% Neanderthal, 45% Northern European, 35% Mediterranean, and 18% Southwest Asian. My primary population reference is British and secondary German.

Beyond getting a glimpse of my ancestry over thousands of years, I'm participating in a National Geographic research project. "The Genographic Project is an ambitious attempt to help answer fundamental questions about where we originated and how we came to populate the earth. Our team, led by renowned population geneticist Dr. Spencer Wells has created a revolutionary new platform for studying deep ancestry to lead us on this journey." In the bigger picture they are creating a genetic history of the whole human race and each person who participates adds to the research. Part of what I paid for the results goes to help them take swabs of DNA from villages and cities around the world to make their research more valid.

It is fun to see it and participate in a larger research, but of course does not at this time help me with specific names in my genealogy, though by being online with it, I might someday make a contact that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment