Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Yellow-headed Caracara

It is my first sighting and photo of this tropical bird, Yellow-headed Caracara
Today we visited the Gatun Locks and watched the huge ships go through, pretty much like what we saw yesterday at the Miraflores Locks. Most of the ships are piled high with the huge shipping containers. But what I liked best today was getting to the rainforest. We had lunch overlooking the Chagres River in the forest and then took the boat ride in Gatun Lake around Monkey Islands which I have done one time before during my Panama Canal Cruise in 2011. But I love it and we saw White-faced Capuchins very close plus some Howlers from a distance. Plus we saw two Keel-billed Toucans, several White-tailed Kites and well, several other birds. We also saw a sloth, agouti, crocodile, turtles and fish. Then we checked into the Gamboa Resort Hotel and I took a walk looking for birds. Saw a few but my big catch was this bird I have never seen or photographed before. My list is growing. He was on a back road picking insects for supper I guess. When I got closer he just hopped up in the tree and posed for me! Tomorrow I skip the boat ride through the canal and go for a tour of the Isla Barro Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute on the island in Gatun Lake. Having a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment